This full-time non-exempt position, based in West Palm Beach Florida, is an integral part of the Agency’s Helpline that serves seniors, caregivers, and adults with disabilities.
Helpline Information and Referral Specialist
This position provides information and referral services to callers needing information or assistance in regards to matters affecting seniors, persons with a disability aged 18-59 and/or their caregivers. Using a data base of resources and service providers, specialists provide accurate information to callers in response to requests for information and services available in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River and Okeechobee Counties. This is done by assessing the needs of the caller, identifying appropriate resources that are capable of meeting the need(s) and providing enough information about each potential resource so that an informed decision can be made regarding the options provided. When specific services are not available due to funding or other constraints, help callers by locating alternative resources that may be of assistance.
Position is required to:
1) Intervene on behalf of individuals to help them establish eligibility for or obtain needed services when they have been denied benefits or services to which they are entitled, or when they need assistance to communicate their needs to a service provider
2) Recognize when a caller is experiencing a crisis and provide appropriate assistance and referral
3) Maintain confidential records and databases
4) Follow up with each referral (within 14 business days). If the need has not been met, additional referrals should be made if appropriate
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the following skills:
- Customer Service Orientation and ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing
- Good Listening and Telephone Etiquette Skills
- Patience and the ability to work effectively with upset, angry, hostile or repeat callers, or callers who may be in a crisis mode
- A sincere desire to work with seniors
- Detail oriented
- Ability to effectively liaise with others on behalf of eligible callers
- Ability to locate and seek out additional resources via the Internet or other networking methods
- Computer data base input and retrieval
Minimum Requirements for position:
- GED or HS Diploma and a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in information and referral services, case management, social services, call center services or related work experience OR
- AA degree in a human services filed and a minimum of one year of experience in information and referral services, case management, social services, call center services or related work experience OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in a human services field
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/English
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccinations
- AA or Bachelor’s Degree
- Prior experience serving elderly or other special needs populations
- Alliance for Information and Referral Standards (AIRS) certified
- Knowledge of local community resources
Salary/Training. Location and Hours of Operation:
- Rate of Pay: $15.00 per hour with an increase to $15.50 after completion of a six month Introductory period
- The Agency is open from 8:00 AM-5 PM Monday-Friday
- On the job training and on-going in-service training will be provided to ensure highest quality service to elder consumers and their caregivers
Benefit Package for all position includes:
Health Insurance, Life Insurance/AD&D, Long Term Disability Insurance; Vacation, Holiday and Sick Leave Programs, EAP and Retirement Plan.
To apply for the above position:
Send your resume and cover letter to: Area Agency on Aging, attention Shelley Naughton 4400 N. Congress Ave. WPB FL. 33407; send to email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 561-214-8678. Agency web address is https://www.aaapbtc.org/contact-us Please No phone calls.
Submittals without a cover letter specifying the position applied for, as well as candidates’ applicable qualifications, will not be considered. Note: a fax cover sheet is not a cover letter.